Ellen Carey RN BSN CLCP MSCC
Ellen has been a registered Nurse in Montana for more than thirty five years. She has worked in a variety of clinical and administrative positions including public health, school nursing, hospital and clinic based pediatrics, education and staff development, occupational health and safety, including work site assessments, early return to work after injury, reasonable accommodations, and human resource policy pertaining to occupational health and safety.
For the past twelve years, Ellen has been employed as a Nurse Consultant with the Carey Law Firm, working on cases involving personal injury, medical negligence, and workers’ compensation. Ellen’s contribution at the law office enhances outcomes and strengthens the quality of services provided by our law firm.
Ellen provides detailed medical summaries or chronologies which allow the attorney to quickly grasp the medical issues facing our injured clients so that the attorney can focus on legal considerations. Ellen often applies her knowledge of healthcare and the legal process, serving as a liaison facilitating communication between physicians and the attorneys. Ellen is also able to provide insight and suggestions to clients regarding their health care and treatment, if needed.
Ellen is a certified Life Care Planner and Medicare Set Aside Certified Consultant. Her expertise in these areas brings a valuable skill set to our law practice. We rely on her to input to assist us in determining the monetary value of cases. Ellen develops cost projections for future medical expenses. She also plays a key role in evaluating Medicare Set Asides (MSAs). An MSA is mandated by law prior to the settling medical benefits in workers’ compensation cases and are indicated in liability cases when the injured client is or will be eligible for social security benefits.
- Montana State University
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1980)
- University of Florida – College of Public Health and Health Professions
- Life Care Planning Pre-Certification Program (2014)
- FIG Medicare Set Aside Pre-Certification Programs
- Online and Onsite (2017)
- Registered Nurse, Montana Board of Nursing (1980)
- Life Care Planner, International Commission on Health Care Certification (2014)
- Medicare Set Aside Certified Consultant, International Commission on Health Care Certification (2017)
- Healthcare Environmental Manager (Center for Healthcare Environmental Management CHEM/ECRI)
- Nursing Continuing Education and Staff Development (American Nursing Credentialing Center)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support – Provider and Instructor (American Heart Association)
- Pediatric Child and Adolescent Nurse (American Nursing Credentialing Center)
- School Nurse Achievement Program-SNAP (University of Colorado, Extension Program)